Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Getting Acquainted With Deventer

I wrote a message this morn and Poof it erased out of nowhere! I was disheartened but am taking great courage and trying again.
We have been getting acquainted with Deventer and learning the ropes on getting around. The Kleyn's the couple we replaced, breezed in and out of these streets without a flaw. Elder Hill and I have been lost a few times; in the dark and midday even. It gets dark at 4:30 on the dot,so let me clarify myself by saying we are not out in the middle of the night. They have great street lamps and little maps you can get for free . We are enjoying being here, the single adults and the missionaries.
Our drive to church through the country is Beautiful. Our ward is great. I don't understand much and David finds himself in the same boat lots of the time. At times he can interpret for me, and there is a literal Dutch translator who has children in Utah that helps me thru Relief Society. They showed a great Nativity video in RS last week, and tho it is not the new one, I had not seen it. I loved it for many reasons. We have a Christmas dinner and a Christmas program and one on Christmas morning for an hour. They said it is traditional in Holland and where it is their second Christmas it is fitting.There first Christmas is this Friday Dec 5 Sinterklaas Day. We are going down and watching Sinterklaas arrive by boat on the Issyl river.  The day has a parade and activities all day long.
We are loving the privilege of working with the missionaries who come in and out of our home throughout the week. They could be your own sons and daughters in the field who are giving it their all and loving the work. We have transfers in two weeks and I will be sad to let this group go, but I am sure others will come in and fill their places with their own flair.
Our YSA group has not come out as much since the Kleyns' left . We keep the home fires burning and a welcome sign out and make the contacts, hopefully they will warm up to us!
We are fine.  We are blessed to be here in Deventer. Have a wonderful month!

No comments:

Post a Comment